Saturday, March 15, 2014

Re-Ups and Downs


Every year at this time our Operation Christmas Child area team does 're-ups'.  This means I contact each person on the team to see if they are still called and willing to serve for the coming year.

I've been trying for a few days to reach the last person on my list and complete this task.  I'm happy to report that I've now finished.  I'm unhappy to report that we lost five team members this year.  That's 20% of the team.

Lives change and callings change and passions change and people move on.  That's the way life is.

But it still leaves me wondering what I could do differently to keep people engaged in our team.  My husband, in his effort to be a truth-teller in my life, said to me today, "Well, what do people actually DO when they get on the team?  How do they know what you want them to do?"

He has a point there.

I need to learn to cast the vision better and offer better training experiences and team-building experiences.  In High Impact lingo, I need to recruit and select and train and equip and lead volunteers in a way that's...well...better.

I've always been more of an academic person than a do-er.  I could write you a great essay on how to lead a team via High Impact principles.  But leading takes more than knowing how to lead.  It takes leadership ability and practice.

If God's called me to lead this team then I need to quit making excuses and just do it.

God help me.


No comments:

Post a Comment