Saturday, July 7, 2012

Though The Mountains May Fall


For nearly a week now I've been surrounded by the Rocky Mountains.  I went a whole lifetime never seeing them and really wasn't interested in seeing them either.  But now that I've seen them I'm so blessed by the opportunity.

Twice this week we drove to the top of the mountains and looked over the vista--one peak after another.  I breathed in the thinner air and thought about our awesome God for whom these mountains are just a footstool.

As we rode a train to the top of Pike's Peak, I couldn't stop thinking of the lyrics written by Dan Schutte, "Though the mountains may fall and the hills turn to dust, yet the love of the Lord will stand as a shelter to all who will call on His name.  Sing the praise and the glory of God."

That drove me to search for the Bible verse that was a foundation of those lyrics and I found Psalm 46:1-2, "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea"

How wonderful to realize that the God who formed and sustains those mountains loves me, protects me, provides for me, and has eternally saved me.

As I look at these mountains, the needs I pray for so often--things like items for 20,000 Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes and team members for my team--seem so inconsequential.

Even if these grand mountains turn to gravel--God's love will stand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment