Thursday, July 26, 2012

Teach Me To Number My Days

The heading on Psalm 90 says it is "A prayer of Moses, the man of God."  How wonderful to have that title to sum up your life and as I read through the Psalm this morning I see the heart of Moses yearning to please God.

In verse 12 he prays, "So teach us to number our days, that we may present to You a heart of wisdom,'" and he goes on to pray in verses 16-17, "Let Your work appear to Your servants and Your majesty to their children.  Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us; and confirm for us the work of our hands; Yes, confirm the work of our hands."

As summer ebbs away, this is my prayer.  My days are filled, but I wonder if they are filled with the right things.  Am I partnering with God so He can confirm the work of my hands?

I'm not good at organization and rarely have a plan for what I need to do with each day.  So I guess I do need to learn to number my days.

Yesterday morning I was blessed to interview and bring onto our Operation Christmas Child team a new (and first) member of the media relations team.  Then I dropped off donations at the Salvation Army, went to a few stores to buy more pencils and school supplies, and head home to sit and bag some crayons.

Then I spent some great time with a friend and headed to the home of an Operation Christmas Child team member who filled my car with all the filler items for the boxes for our packing party pictured above.  When the day started I had no idea I'd spend some hours unloading these treasures and sorting them.

Before bed I did some online shopping for soap and toothpaste and sent some e-mails.

But I didn't make those phone calls to potential relay centers that seem to daily hang over my head.  I didn't call the team member who came onto the team months ago and still needs to be trained.  I didn't even do the online work of getting the upcoming packing party onto events calendars for local media.

Did God confirm the work of my hands?

2 comments:

  1. I thought of you today when I picked up two little stuffed animals for our boxes. They were on clearance at Target for .88 cents each. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I just found your blog through Clip With a Purpose. I am wondering if you are willing to share where you get toothpaste/toothbrushes online. That is one thing I have trouble finding in quantity for the price I am looking for. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete