Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Crayon Update



By buying 160 tubes of toothpaste for our Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes with coupons last week I got enough gas points for us to fill our vehicles 4 times and the points have to be used by July 23rd. Now I know why.

This week I'm going to be doing a lot of driving to WalMart stores, I think. I'm trying to amass as many 24-packs of Crayola crayons as possible by having WalMart match the Toys R Us sale price of 4/$1.00. Today I drove from my house to Elm St. WalMart then to Harborcreek and then out to Edinboro and back to Peach St. I'm not sure how many miles that was, but it made good use of that gas since I was saving 38% on the crayons. I ended up today's run with 1090 boxes for a total of 1833 so far. I'm praying for at least 3000 this week out of the total 5000 boxes I need.

Unfortunately, these aren't in easily stackable cartons so I'm not sure how I'm going to store them in the container. I wish I had an unlimited supply of copy paper boxes for that. I need to figure out something tomorrow.

We had a conference call today for those who are having packing parties to put together large numbers of Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes. I felt like I didn't have much to contribute because every year seems to bring new challenges and we need to do things in a different way. The past year's experience has some impact, of course, but still so much is new.

One of the big challenges is trying to figure out how to get more money for donating toward shipping these boxes. A suggestion was made of having each volunteer who comes to help pack boxes donate at least $7.00. It sounds great, but I wonder if it would keep the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts from coming.

Something else to pray about.

No comments:

Post a Comment