Sunday, May 3, 2009

"You won't relent until you have it all"

Deviating from the shoe box theme I had a few thoughts during church.  I noticed in the bulletin today that the word 'hypocrisy' was misspelled (as 'hypocracy') but I thought it was probably hypercritical to mention it.  Still, I couldn't refrain so I did tell someone.  Why is it so easy for me to see mistakes that other people make while I'm so blind to my own?

Then while we were singing a song called, I think, "You Won't Relent Until You Have It All"--at least that's the first line--I was struck by one line that was being sung to God and said "Until You and I are one."  I stumbled on that and now can't stop thinking about whether it's biblical to think that we can ever be one with God.  

Jesus said, "I and the Father are one," and He prayed that we (His followers) would be one as He and the Father are one.  But after getting out the concordance and doing a word search under 'one' I couldn't find anything in scripture to support us becoming one with God.  I leafed through 10 pages on Google but couldn't find any discussion about this point.  

Am I crazy?

No comments:

Post a Comment