Friday, June 22, 2012

Equally Yoked

Today my husband and I are celebrating our 38th wedding anniversary.  So what does this have to do with my Operation Christmas Child shoebox ministry?  Well, pretty much everything.

When my husband made those vows 38 years ago today he held my hands and said, "I promise to love you as Christ loves the church and to cherish you as part of myself.  I will honor you, protect you, comfort you, provide for you, and lead you.  My love for you is unconditional, and I promise, through Christ's power, to remain true through good times and bad times, through sorrow and through joy, and to treasure you in my heart, second only to God, unless He breaks our unity through death."

As he stood there in that classy white 1970s tuxedo he had no idea that 38 years in the future he would come home many days to find his living room invaded by piles of clothing or stuffed animals.  He didn't know then that his promise to "provide for me" included providing for items for multiple shoebox gifts.

He didn't know any of that but year by year he kept every promise.  Because we are equally yoked together under God's leadership he supports me in every way.  He protects me by carrying the heaviest boxes and comforts me when I feel like I missed the best deal and he's willing to give me his opinion and smart enough to wait until I ask for it.  Together we do better ministry for the Lord than either of us would alone.

And that's my prayer for the 8 single Christian women for whom I pray almost  daily.  I'm praying for God to bring them Christian husbands and I almost always pray, "Lord, bring _______ a husband who will love her as Christ loves the church but who will always love You more; someone with whom she can serve You better than she could alone.  And help her to recognize him when you send him."

Because being equally yoked over the years can make the life and death difference not only for a marriage but for a ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment