Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Promise in Waiting


As I stated in my last post, waiting is, I think, the hardest thing to do in life.  This morning I'm waiting again.  Yesterday afternoon my friend Dr. Meg Chilcott who is in Haiti volunteering at a clinic sent some pictures on Facebook that broke my heart.  These pictures showed babies who are starving because their mothers have been unable to breastfeed them and have been giving them cow's milk.

They are in a crisis situation and need formula but the clinic's funds to buy formula have run out.  Meg has used up all her own resources and God has been leading a young woman named Cora to launch a drive to collect money for this. Yesterday when several of us shared Meg's pictures on Facebook there was an immediate outpouring of desire to help.  The problem is that we don't have a system in place to collect those funds.

So we wait.

I called OMS (One Mission Society) the parent organization for the clinic in Haiti but I'm waiting for a call back from the CFO there.  I want to figure out how to get the funds there as soon as possible so the clinic staff can arrange to make a trip to the Dominican Republic where they can save on formula and bottles.  But they need $1000 to buy enough to make the trip worthwhile.

So this morning I'm sitting on the floor in my living room waiting for a phone call while babies in Haiti are waiting for life-giving formula.

The new front door my husband installed last summer has some prisms of glass in it that cast small rainbows on my carpet and I put my hand into them and think of that sign of God's promise.

Noah had an advanced degree in waiting.  He waited for years and faithfully built an ark while being derided by his neighbors.  Then he followed God's plans perfectly and waited for the rain to start.  Then he waited while the flood came and waited for the rain to subside.

Finally he got to come into the light and God gave him that rainbow--the sign of the promise.

I have the rainbow but I'm still waiting.

I want to have patience but why does it take so long?

No comments:

Post a Comment