Monday, September 2, 2013

Prayer Pause


For the past few minutes, while trying to choose a picture for this blog, I scrolled through images of Operation Christmas Child adventures over the past eight years or so.

I wonder how many prayers have been prayed over the years for these boxes?

I thought of all the specific prayers I'd prayed over the years--prayers for ball pumps and shoes; prayers that I'd be there when certain items went on sale; prayers for better prices and favor with store managers; prayers for volunteers and stuffed animals.

And, most of all, prayers that each of these 'gospel opportunities' would bring a harvest for the Kingdom.

When I think of recent months, though, I wonder if my prayer concentration for Operation Christmas Child has been slipping.

Last year, for example, I focused on praying for God to supply a goal number of stuffed animals each week.  I shared the goal on Facebook and asked others to pray along.  And God provided week by week in wonderful ways.

This year my life has been a little more complicated with family priorities and the weekly prayer concentration for stuffed animals has fallen off.

When I realize we have only 13,500 stuffed animals with less than four weeks until the packing party I wonder if the lack of prayer has been a part of that.

On the other hand, I actually feel peaceful and am trusting God to work this out and provide all we need to fill the boxes He wants filled at the packing party.

I don't want to presume on God's grace without spending time seeking Him in prayer, though.  After all, He commands us in Thessalonians 5:17 to "Pray continually."  That's pretty clear.

I can't do anything about the past months but I can ask God to renew my focus now.

I know He will hear.  Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment