Monday, August 23, 2010

Getting Into The Boat


I've concentrated a lot over the past few years on asking God to help me get OUT of the boat and walk to Him on the water as He calls me--to not be afraid to follow where He leads. But yesterday's sermon based on Jesus' calling of Peter, James and John in Luke 5 made me realize that sometimes I need to get INTO the boat.

Jesus used Peter's boat to get out onto the water to speak to the crowd. Peter was done with his work for the day. He'd worked all night and hadn't caught any fish. He was cleaning the nets and finishing up his work--ready to go rest.

Then Jesus said, "Put out into deep water and let down the nets for a catch." Peter was tired and his equipment was cleaned. He wasn't ready to go back out to work again. Despite that, though, he simply obeyed and said to Jesus, "But (I love that word) because you say so, I will let down the nets."

And because Peter obeyed they caught such a large number of fish their nets started to break.

God used this to speak to me so clearly yesterday. We've been talking about the possibility of having a second large packing party in the Albion/ west county area after our large packing party at Grace Church this fall. I've been reluctant, though. All I can think of is getting through this packing party on September 25th and the thought of facing another one after that just seems too daunting.

On September 25th my nets would be cleaned and I'd be done packing for the year. But yesterday I started feeling that God may be calling us to let down the nets again. Boy, I sure don't want to miss a huge catch of 'gospel opportunities' just because I'm tired and don't want to do another packing party.

We're going to keep praying about this and asking God for His leading. Please pray that we don't miss getting INTO the boat if that's what He's calling us to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment