Saturday, March 2, 2013

It Gets Personal in the Valley

One of my special Operation Christmas Child colleagues was going through a tough time this week and asked God to give her a special verse.  When he gave her Psalm 23:4 she thought, "Really, God?"  The verse reads:

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me;  Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me."

She wasn't too excited about the thought of the valley of the shadow of death, and I can't say that I blame her.

Today, though, I heard a speaker shed some light on this verse that was new to me.  In the first three verses of Psalm 23, David talks of the Lord in the third person--calling Him 'He'--but in verse 4 when he talks of walking through the valley of the shadow of death David refers to the Lord as 'You'.

Something happens in the valley that makes our walk with the Lord very personal.  'Him' becomes 'You'.  

Your rod, God, is the challenge I need.  And Your staff, God, is what you use to put around my neck and gently draw me to You.  They keep me safe and they comfort me.

I see You, God.  I recognize You, God.  I cling to You, God.  I depend on You, God.

In the valley, it all gets personal.


No comments:

Post a Comment