Thursday, March 8, 2012

Did Jesus Have SMART Goals?


A couple of weeks ago my team approved our 2012 Operation Christmas Child ministry plan.  We prayed and worked to construct goals that were SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-sensitive.)

I love the training we receive in Operation Christmas Child that teaches us how to do this important work of goal-setting, but I still wonder:  did Jesus have SMART goals?

Jesus had a purpose or mission statement.  He said He "came to do my Father's will."  In Mark 10:45 he further stated his ministry purpose when He said, "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

But what would SMART goals have looked like for Jesus?

I will heal 50 people this month with 100% accuracy.

I will speak to 75 groups of at least 50 people each in the next three months to cast the vision of my Kingdom principles.

I will draw aside to a solitary place to pray for one hour once per day each day for the next year.

My disciples will demonstrate understanding of at least four parables with 50% accuracy within six months.

Umm, the gospels don't mention anything about a neat, specific, measurable plan.  But Jesus knew the secret to having a successful ministry--He listened to His Father and obeyed Him daily.

I'm happy to have the guideline of a plan for our Operation Christmas Child team, but I recognize that the most important thing is to follow God on a daily basis and wait on Him to lead us step by step.

That's the only really SMART goal.


No comments:

Post a Comment