Sunday, April 28, 2019

Delighting


As I've been praying for guidance over the past weeks God has been answering in some ways I didn't expect. My main prayers have been for answers about not only a goal for our packing party but for wisdom on which church to approach first about being our Central Drop-Off Site for Operation Christmas Child.

Maybe most people don't agonize over these decisions. I mean it's easy enough to just choose a number for a goal or pick up the phone and randomly call one of the two churches we have in mind as Central Drop-Off Site. I don't know which of my 3 P's-- perfectionism, procrastination, or people-pleasing--is most responsible for my crazy level of indecision but it's plagued me all my life.

While seeking answers lately, though, I discovered I may be asking the wrong questions.

In my regular Bible reading this week I read Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord; and He will give you the desires of your heart."  Such a familiar verse but I honestly haven't thought about it or read it in a while. I stopped to meditate on these words for a bit, then turned back to my computer to read a daily devotional that arrived in my email. And, wouldn't you know, the same verse popped up in that devotional. Okay, God, I get the message.

Webster's dictionary defines 'delight' when used as a verb to mean "to take great pleasure or to give keen enjoyment or to give joy or satisfaction." So my new question is: do I delight in the Lord?

I delight in looking at all three of my sweet little grandsons. I delight in finding bargains and getting quality items at a low price. I delight in food of almost any kind.

But...do I get pleasure, keen enjoyment, joy and satisfaction from the Lord? Oh, how I want to delight in Him. As I ponder what that means I think of His promise to give me "the desires of (my) heart."

IF I can really learn to delight in Him then the perfectionism, procrastination, and people-pleasing won't be an issue...

Because IF I learn to delight in Him the desires of my heart will be...HIM.

No comments:

Post a Comment