Thursday, December 19, 2013

Incarnation


As we gear up for our big family Christmas celebration this weekend, I know time will fly by over the next few days.  My daughters are coming from New York City, Chicago, and the Pittsburgh area to be home for a short holiday visit.

When they leave the actual days of Christmas will be pretty quiet, I think.  My plan is to spend more time reflecting on the incarnation--God becoming man.

A friend reminded me of a poem I wrote a few years ago.  I can't remember exactly when.  I dug it out and wanted to share it with you.

Incarnation

Just six or seven pounds of baby flesh
Rests whimpering in swaddling clothes this night.
Who could have guessed his wrinkled skin would mesh
Majestic God with frail mankind's plight
Embodied in that tiny God-man there
With pursed lips searching, looking now to feed.
Sufficiency released, He grasps for care
Identifying with our human need.
The voice that first spoke breath into a soul
Now gurgles, swallows with contented sighs.
Almighty, awesome, ageless One still whole
Empties Himself, obediently lies
In human arms, His flesh to ours pressed tight.
Emmanuel--our God with us tonight.

--Kathy Schriefer


No comments:

Post a Comment