Saturday, April 23, 2022

Red Sea Deliverance

 


Did you ever go through a period of pull and tug that feels like a bit of a Red Sea experience? Our packing party team has had months of this. I can't even explain all the ways that I, for one, have felt confusion and a lack of discernment since last summer about whether God even wanted us to continue packing large numbers of boxes. 

This feeling isn't anything new, really, I guess. This is a hard task and every year I wonder whether God is telling us it's time to end it. This year, though, has been especially hard. We found out last year we'd be losing much of the space we've used for packing since we began these packing parties in 2009.

Then, last fall, we lost storage containers and went from three down to one. At the same time we lost alternate basement storage space, too. And last year's packing sessions had depleted our team in so many ways. Were we too exhausted and too old to do this again? 

Still, I think each person on our team kept thinking of the children who receive these shoeboxes. We know each box means one more child and his/her family will have an opportunity to hear of God's love. So, we've continued moving forward step by step. 

This morning I read again the story of the crossing of the Red Sea--that amazing deliverance of God's people. Don't we all long for that kind of deliverance? We want to see God come through for us in inexplicable but tangible ways. And...He does!

The past few days have been nothing short of amazing. My husband and I went to meet with the staff at another nearby church about the possibility of using their large gym to pack our boxes this year and they were so welcoming and accommodating. It sounds dramatic but it was honestly a bit like watching the Red Sea part.

We also got several donations of stuffed animals over the last few days. It's just encouraging to see God provide like that. And by God's grace we're awaiting a shipment of items for packing this year's boxes even as we trust God for the 10,000 stuffed animals and additional fillers we need to round them out. We're not through the Red Sea yet but we're following Him.

I just re-read something I wrote last year on this day when I read the same passage in Exodus about the Red Sea and wanted to record it here to save it:

Steps When You Face A Red Sea:

1) Settle down (don't fear!)
2) Stand by (wait expectantly)
3) Stay silent but go forward (let God fight for you)
4) Stretch out your staff (act when God tells you to)
5) See salvation (watch for deliverance)
6) Serve the Savior (rejoice in His salvation) 

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I found your blog on a Pastors wife blogroll I'm excited to see pastors wives who are still blogging! I am starting a blogroll, and was wondering if you would be interested in joining? I'm also a pastors wife, and love to connect people who are in the ministry to pray for and encourage one another! The blog address is https://simplyblessedblogger.blogspot.com/p/ministry-wives-connect.html and if you would like to join please comment! I would love to add some ministry ladies to the list!

    ReplyDelete